Friday, March 4, 2016

RAWR!! - A Dinosaur Card

RAWR! I'm feeling a little wild today - at least wild about this card! And I've got an awesome technique tutorial showing you how to add a little texture to your cards. 


mixed_media_background_with_Tim_Holtz_spray_stain

I decided to go with lots of texture for this card due to 3 primary reasons - 
Numero Uno - STAMPlorations's new challenge is up and it's stamps and texture OR use this sketch: 




Numero Dos: Simon Says Stamp wants us to get Touchy Feely and get all textural for their Wednesday challenge

Numero Tres: My gal, Jenn Shurkus, had an awesome tutorial up on her blog with some cool ways to add texture to your backgrounds, and so I did a little bit of a riff on that idea. She's always inspiring me with great things, so if you haven't checked out her blog you totally should.

But back to the tutorial! 
mixed_media_background_with_Tim_holtz_distress_stains

Here's the easy rundown 
(in a handy-dandy very Pinnable *wink *wink graphic):

1. Add some texture paste to a background. I left some areas thicker than others to add more dimension. 

2. I used the Tribal Triangles ARTplorations stencil, spritzed it with water (so it didn't stick to the texture paste) and then pressed it into the texture paste. Then I heat dried.  

3. Spritz with your fav Distress Spray Stains. I did some sprays farther away to make a mist, and some sprays close up so that it dripped and concentrated color. Then I heat dried. 

4. I replaced the stencil into the areas I'd already pressed it into and chose some random triangles to highlight with Blank Canvas white acrylic paint. 

5. I shouted VOILA! and admired my  handiwork. 



mixed_media_birthday_card_for_boy

After I made the background, I wasn't quite sure how to finish it off, and then I thought about the T-Rex from my Big Grins by Becca Cruger Dino Things stamp set and had another voila! moment. 

He's PERFECT for this grungy backround! I stamped a sentiment from the same set, colored him in, gave him googly eyes, and ended it all by laughing. 

Love it! :) 

I'm also going to send this guy over to play along in: 
Seize the Birthday - Anything Goes Birthday
Crafty Gals Corner - All about the Boys 


Grab Our Badge!

Don't forget to go play along at STAMPlorations! Make sure you check out what the rest of the designers made and spark your inspiration engines! 

Thanks for popping by! 

35 comments:

  1. Made me Smile ..your card ! Loved the technique !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me Smile ..your card ! Loved the technique !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so super cute Becca!! Very cool look on your background too!! :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! What a great make, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do this style so well Becca, mine always end up in the bin as I don't know when to stop or I chicken out altogether!
    Love the dino's googly eyes too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute and the background works great with Mr. T Rex. I love his googly eyes:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heyyy Becca!! I love the dino things stamp set and this wild guy is adorable!! I loved your grungy background- should try that! (And will make another card for you dear with the step-by-step tute) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very creative texture on your card! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Beautiful grunge card, perfect for a boy! Your T-rex is too fun with these google eyes, he made me smile! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful funky bg....love Dino too.....if you're like me, you always want to show off the bg which gets really problematic when you add other stuff.....sigh! The woes of creating!!!! Love that green olive colour here VERY much:):))

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nuts about these critters. This background is the perfect one for Dino, there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous card, Becca!! I love the background!! The colors and texture are amazing!! And that is just the cutest dino ever!! Love this!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous card Becca - both my grandsons would absolutely love this. That's for the 'how to'
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that background, you are too good with creating textures! love the googly eyes on the dino, really fun card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy oh boy is this ever CUTE!! Your background is perfect with this fun little fella and I love the big bold vertical sentiment!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now this is just too cute, Becca--wonderful texture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool background! it is perfect for that adorable Dino!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for taking the time to show how you made your wonderful bg, Becca!!! And your little monster shines against all the lovely texture and with his googly eyes!!! Love the B&W striped frame!!! What a sweet card!!!!!
    Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh Becca, this card is absolutely fantastic! That little dinosaur makes me smile and I love your awesome background!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great card! Love the colors and texture in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your card Becca!
    Amazing background indeed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Becca another amazing card , a real gorgeous piece x

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad I came by to see this guy cuz that BG is awesome! RAWR!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what an unique technique and idea! Love the aligator - so cute!
    Thanks so much for joining the fun over at Seize the Birthday!
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  24. hello Becca....I adore your new photo...total cuteness! your card is awesome, I am luvin all the details and mixed media mediums...sweet! so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loaded with cuteness. Liked the way you have used the colors

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry I'm late to this dinosaur party; DH & DS#2 have been under the weather... Thanks for sharing your tutorial on how to create such an interest-filled background. It's shiny, cool, and loaded with color. But that little cutie pie T-Rex takes the cake...he makes me smile every time I see him! Those googly eyes crack me up. Super fun card Miss Becca. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous mixed media card, I've not mastered this look yet, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous mixed media card, I've not mastered this look yet, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This came out fabulously!! and i love how you did your own spin on it :) thank you for the shout out- happy you enjoyed the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Super duper cute, Becca! Love the fabulous background you created!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the colors and your technique. Thank you for playing along at Crafty Gals Corner's All About The Boys Challenge.
    Hugs, Melanie DT

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL...you made such an awesome background and then you covered it with the dinosaur....albeit a cute dinosaur. A really cute card Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My kids just LOVE that sentiment in Dino speak:)) Great texture layers Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  34. J'adore, So beautiful and fun card !!

    ReplyDelete