Monday, October 12, 2015

Distress Spray Watercolor Wash - Hop to Stop

Hurry Hurry Hurry! There are only >>2<< days left to link up for the Hop to Stop! I'd love to see your creations! 




Not sure what the heck I'm talking about? The Hop to Stop is a 2-week linkup party where we're asking papercrafters to use their voices and share their talents to bring awareness for victims of Domestic Violence. One in 3 women will be a victim of domestic violence in her lifetime.

Since October is National Domestic Violence Awareness month here in America, and purple is the official color, all you have to do to play along is make something that *features* purple! And there are over $500 in sponsored prizes! 




Before I share my latest purple creation, I thought I'd feature a few of the stories that have been shared throughout the Hop. It's incredible how long I've known some of these crafters, and how I might not really know their stories. Domestic Violence is silent, and not something that's freely shared about, and this hop is helping to change that narrative.

KT Fit Kitty 
Kitty shared bits of her story in comments along the hop - and believe me, she's commented on almost every linkup in the hop. 

"My mother was a victim of domestic violence, from my birth father, and she is lucky to be alive. She escaped with my brother and me when I was three"


 Like Kitty, Terri had first-hand experience with domestic violence as a child. 
As a child, I was a witness to domestic violence.  My birth father used to beat my mother, even going so far as to break her nose while driving in the car. Those childhood memories molded me into the person that I choose to be today; the mother I choose to be; the strong woman that I choose to be.
One thing that's been mentioned so many times in comments throughout this hop is "thank you for giving me a place to share my story." Em shared a bit of hers, something she hadn't felt comfortable doing in the past. 
While my experiences don't define who I am, they have, all of them, helped shape me into the woman I am today.

-------------------------------

Thank you to ALL of you who've been one of the 178 linkups so far. You may not be able to see all of the private messages sent my way, but just know that YOU are a part of helping some women share their stories, and know that they are not alone in their experiences. 

And now for my card! I used some of my new Paper Smooches sets along with a Distress Spray Stain Double-Dip Background

STAMPS: Paper Smooches Tri-balations and Royal Cuteness.
 I also used some incredible adhesive ribbon from May Arts to create that swag banner. A while back I went a little crazy buying the cool adhesive ribbon and honestly, I have no regrets. It's so fleepin' cool and easy to use!

I loved the sentiment paired with that princess. :) 

I'm going to link this up to Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Watercolor (because my background is a watercolor wash).  613 Ave Create - Anything Goes. Allsorts - No designer paper.

---------------------------
One last thing before I go - My friend Taunya (who is the sunshiniest ray of light that you'll ever meet) of Daisies Girl is having a blogoversary contest. After this hop is done and I have time to breathe, I'm going to totally play along but I thought I'd throw it out here, too in case any of you all want to go wish her a happy month and play in her challenge! :) 

http://daisiesgirl.com/blogaversary/

30 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful card, Becca! I love the swag banner you made from the adhesive ribbon! The distress stain spray background is gorgeous, and I like the sweet image and sentiment. Thank you for sharing my card - the hop has been tough in some ways, but very meaningful and somewhat healing for me - thank you so much for organizing it. Your are amazing! Sending big hugs to Terri and Em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting these girls' stories and showing them some love. I also wanted to say that I really love how you used every element of your initial post's card as part of your message of hope. The layered hearts and torn edges, all of that touched me so deeply and has been something I've thought about for days. Really made me think that this fun hobby is therapy for those rough places. I read a story on one of the blogs not listed here and it reminded me of how easily the emotions flood back up if given the window. I too grew up in a similar situation as these girls and the most beautiful part of my story was in finding forgiveness for the person who hurt us. I pray for each of the ladies visiting this hop and for their healing and path to forgiveness. Thanks again for all you're doing, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is gorgeous, Becca! Thanks so much for featuring mine in your post too. It means so much! I agree with KT, it has been tough in some ways to take part, but I'm blessed to be able to do so. I pray for everyone taking part in the hop and all effected that they might find peace and strength

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, blown away not only with that lovely card, but your great BIG HEART. I'm positive you walk around with a glow surrounding you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So moving stories... I knew that of my friend Kitty, but I have understand that there are a lot of ladies in this hop that help others women and themselves with these cards... Your hop is a sweet "cure". You are amazing!
    Love your sweet CAS snd the cute princess, and the sentiment is just perfect! The banners with the adesive ribbon are stunning, so creative!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't yet been able to hop through all the entries but hope to this week...the stories I have read so far are so moving.
    Another gorgeous card from you Becca, love the background and that ribbon looks fab....may have to try die cutting the adhesive ribbon I've had since beginning this cardmaking journey! Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving all the cards you're creating and what you're doing to let people know they are not alone. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love that you are highlighting both stories and cards. it's a great way of sharing.....& your stickable ribbon. What next! Brill idea:):) Another cute girl ....but not as cute as the one I have NOTHING can beat her, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think, what you are doing, is a beautiful thing. I wanted to participate but felt like I was not sure i could capture what women have been dealing with. I still remember what you created about a year ago and I found that so strong of you to showcase the pain you had in your card. These quotes you shared here from the fellow women crafters, makes my heart sad that they experienced such pain. It also shows me how strong each woman is even if they don't feel that. The cards the women have made are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This hop is obviously a great help to a lot of ladies. So happy to be supporting this. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your creation is just stunning, always for a good cause. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who was not abused. Love that sweet image and your creative goodies as always.xxx
    {The Journey Is The Start aNNie my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becca, this card is just to cute! I love your princess and the sentiment is so nice! Love your banners! I have a few more post to comment on and then I have commented on all these fantastic posts! Well, I did not know how to on flicker but I went in and looked ath the card~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Becca, your card is just adorable, love these adhesive ribbon banners, so sweet image with a beautiful sentiment! This hop is so amazing and a great help for lot of ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That background is beautiful Becca! Really like what you did with the banners and the sentiment is great! Thank you for sharing your project and creativity at 613 Ave C!
    ~ginny, DT for 613 Ave C : [#145 – ATG / or Use a Free Sentiment]
    Owner: RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome watercolor washed background Becca! And what great ribbon! Why isn't more ribbon adhesive backed??!! Might have to mention this to Paulina or someone... Anyway... Sweet little princess and you've colored her perfectly. I'm so glad the hop is such a success; so worthy! A package will be winging its way to you as of tomorrow. Take care! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet she is and love that self adhesive ribbon...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for spotlighting these girls struggles. Love this card - everybody needs to feel like royalty sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are all wonderful cards and the strength and inspiration that they all give us is amazing! Thanks Becca for conducting this blog hop! Your card is so pretty and adorable! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh lovely cards all from other lady
    and yours oooh so cuuute
    love this lady from Paper Smooches and in Purple yaay
    love your bg too Becca and sweet Banner there and lovely coloring this little lady
    Cute card...I made one more purple card hope you like to see it hunny.
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  20. My heart goes out to those who are struggling with domestic violence. So glad you are highlighting this, Becca. Prayers for all to be able to get the help they need. Your card is lovely, as are all the cards of the participants in this great challenge.
    Have a great day.
    Lena
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your card is fabulous. So glad I found this hop today- you are amazing, and it is sad to hear these stories, but wonderful to see the 'Silver Lining' and how it makes people stronger and how people can bond together to make positives out of a bad experience!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are such an inspiring individual my friend!! This is a wonderful idea that you're doing here and I wish I had more time to participate! :) Thanks for sharing! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing all that's going on with the hop! Beautiful background, Becca, and your princess is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know, it's amazing the memories that I haven't thought about in years that have popped up in my head since I've focused on this event, shared tidbits of my story, and read others. I'm thankful that my mother had the strength to leave my father, whom she loved dearly, despite the abuse, even though it took her almost 10 years to do it. My mother is 73 years old now but she still remembers those days, of course. Thank God she left..... I could have ended up raising my son, having never met his grandmother or experiencing the love that she still has to give.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now that's a card that hits all the marks! I especially love the watercolor wash background. It is gorgeous. Thanks for putting this all together!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Becca your hop has been an amazing experience and yes it was emotional reading many of the stories shared and I salute all the brave ladies including yourself who have so bravely shared their experience
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another cute card Becca! Thank you for sharing these moving stories and for all that you've done in putting this incredible hop together x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have been meaning to pop by for ages now, but I let life get in the way! I'm silly like that ;) I love your card, and you are right, the sentiment works perfectly with your princess - Thank you for being a part of such an important cause - I hope to be able to join the hop next year ~ Hugs! Christi

    ReplyDelete